|Q15 – How will you work with clubs to better support coach development at the front end of the sport?
A – Clubs are integral to this and Club Modernisation is a key focus for us. This is not only within the Coaching Working Group – the UKA and HCAF Development Working Group are focussed on supporting clubs with Governance and Planning, Financial/Employment Support, Club Operations, Marketing and Communications, Facilities, Officials Development and more.
In the Coaching and Athlete Development space, we plan to support clubs with the following:
– Understanding the number and quality of coaches required to grow the club.
– Processes for safe recruitment of coaches.
– Succession planning including internal and external recruitment of coaches.
– Coaching structure with coaches in place at every level of the pathway.
– Implementing a multi-event approach at Foundation and Event Group level.
– Record keeping of license renewal dates for coaches.
– Support for coaches continued learning.
– Needs-led coach training and development plans.
– Reviewing and recording athlete engagement and satisfaction.
– Reviewing and recording athlete development.
– Providing intra and inter club competitions, races or events within guidelines.
Q16 – How will you support coaches who have been incorrectly accused of something or during the process of case management?
A – We are in the process of developing an independent Coaches Association that will provide Coach Welfare and support coaches wellbeing. Amongst other services, it will provide advice on disciplinary and grievance procedures and signpost coaches to relevant support services for issues they may face in coaching and in life.
The aim of the association will be to make coaches feel:
– Safe in their coaching role.
– Supported in their coaching role.
– Happy in their coaching role.
– Connected within the coaching community.
Q17 – Will you be teaching coaches how to work with Coach Developers and vice versa?
A – We recognise the importance of having a good ‘match’ with coach and coach developer. There will be work done to prepare coaches for their supported practice and this will include relationship building with the Coach Developer.
Likewise, Coach Developers will undergo training so that they are skilled at supporting coaches through their situational learning. There will be a mechanism for coaches to communicate any difficulties they have in this area, and we will do our best to find the most appropriate coach developer for each coach.
Q18 – Will there be any pre-requisites before enrolling for any of the roles?
A – There will be an entry level for each of the roles. This is likely to be Club Coach with specific modules for the pathway that you are entering. The content will be differentiated for coaches working towards
Children’s Coach, Youth Coach, Performance Coach etc. We are also planning to develop a coaching self-assessment tool that will include the knowledge, skills and behaviours required for each role so that you can rate yourself against them and identify the modules that you will gain the most from and that will prepare you for assessment.